Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog Number Nine


Oh dear, I missed a week.  Last weekend Hurricane Lee managed to push inland as far as Chattanooga, TN., dumping nearly 9 inches of rain on my back yard.  Since there was a great deal of lightning with it, I decided not to turn on my computer.

This week, I would like to mention some "how to" titles.  These books are to be read for educational purposes.  If you put fifty writers in a room with pencil and paper, you would end up with fifty methods on how to write a book. 

Robert Ray.  THE WEEKEND NOVELIST
Even though his method isn't my method, I still found his book extremely helpful and informative.  His lyrical style makes the book very readable.

Dwight Swain.  TECHNIQUES OF A SELLING WRITER.
When this book was first recommended to me, I thought "how can a book published in 1967 possibly be relevant in today's market."  I was so wrong.  Some advice withstands the test of time.  His recommendation of "Begin in violence, end in hope," has been my mantra for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment